The Central Australian Aboriginal Legal Aid Service envisions justice, dignity and equal rights and treatment before the law for Aboriginal people in Central Australia.
For Aboriginal people, our clients and our work colleagues, we value:
- Open communication
- Knowledge and understanding, and
- Cultural sensitivity.
To achieve this we will:
- Strive for justice and equal rights for Aboriginal people in society and within the justice system
- Fight injustice, racism and discrimination in Australian laws, policies, practices and attitudes
- Ensure knowledge and understanding of the rights and obligations of Aboriginal people under the law
- Achieve appropriate recognition of Aboriginal customary law in Australia
- Provide high quality, culturally appropriate and readily accessible legal services, including legal education justice advocacy and other preventative services to Aboriginal people and communities in Central Australia, and
- Be an innovative leader in the provision of legal services to Aboriginal people in Australia.
CAALAS Draft Constitution
To guide us in this important work, CAALAS has prepared a new Draft Constitution.